The Fancott Miniature Railway (FMR) is a 7¼ inch railway located in the gardens of the Fancott public house in Fancott (near Toddington), Bedfordshire, England, LU5 6HT for your sat nav. The track is laid in an oval with a triangular junction giving access to the two platform station and engine shed; there is also a separate steaming bay inside the oval. The track is approximately ¾ of a mile in length.
In 2015 there was a serious fire at the pub which destroyed all the engines, rolling stock and the engine shed. The railway was out of action for a while until the damage was made safe. Several miniature railways came to our aid lending us their spare engines and rolling stock to get us up and running again.
The railway came very near to closure in 2018 due to the diminishing numbers of volunteers, but after an appeal on local radio several new members joined the team at the Fancott and we have been growing in numbers ever since. We currently have 24 members of all ages, including several youngsters that hopefully will be the future for the railway.
Since 2018 we have improved our passengers experience by building a tunnel over the furthest point of the mainline oval, which has also doubled up as Santa’s Grotto this year.
March 2019 saw the purchase of Davana, our 0-4-0 Stafford loco. There have been some teething troubles in getting the loco to perform well at the Fancott but we are hoping that 2022 will see her regularly pulling passenger trains.
In July 2019 we added our Signal Box, which is located adjacent to the level crossing, this has given a home to our new signalling and point control panel, which will eventually allow the railway to be run from the signal box.
In March 2021 a ticket office was constructed to provide a focal point for passengers to buy tickets, obtain information for train running and future events and also shelter for the comfort of our station staff when on duty.
During 2021 we have been fund raising to purchase a wheelchair access carriage. This will allow elderly, impaired or disabled passengers to use the railway, as previously there have been access issues due to our sit astride carriages. The carriage should be delivered in early April and will be available for use for the 2022 season.
The railway holds special events throughout the year.
- 6/27 March – Mother’s Day specials
- 16/17 April – Easter weekend – come and see our Easter bunny
- 3/4/5 June – 1940’s weekend
- 9/10 July – 1960’s weekend
- 27/28 August – Happy 26th birthday to the Fancott Miniature Railway
- 24/25 September – Teddy Bear weekend
- 29/30 October – Halloween Weekend – spooky goings on at the railway
- 10/11 & 17/18 December – Santa special trains
All events are provisional and subject to change, please see our events page which will be updated with further details as they become available.
Trains are run subject to weather conditions, please see our Facebook page for updates before travelling to the railway.
Railway Opening Times –
- Normal operating days from 27/3/22 to 29/10/22 (Mother’s day to Halloween weekend)
- Saturday & Sundays 12.00 to 17.00 Bank holidays 12.00 to 17.00
- Additional running day during school Easter & Summer holidays Wednesdays 12.00 to 17.00
- Last train on running days will be called at approximately 16.45
FANCOTT MINIATURE RAILWAY
Fancott, Near Toddington, Dunstable, Bedfordshire LU5 6HT